Laughter is the best medicine. And it turns out it is a form of exercise.
“Laughter activates the body’s natural relaxation response. It’s like internal jogging, providing a good massage to all internal organs while also toning abdominal muscles,” says Dr. Gulshan Sethi, Head of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Tucson Medical Center.
Why you should have a good laugh today:
1. Laughter is contagious. When someone smiles at you, you can’t help but smile back, the same goes for laughing. Not only does a good laugh make you feel good, but it can also make others feel good.
2. Laughter reduces stress. When you laugh endorphins are released that help you feel more relaxed, both physically and emotionally.
3. Laughter boosts immunity. Joyful laughter has been said to increase a type of white blood cell that attacks cancer cells.
4. Laughter increases resilience. Learning to laugh at your own mistakes and accepting them as part of human growth, is important in increasing resilience.
5. Laughter relieves pain. People who laugh don’t experience less pain but their belief that they can cope with the pain is much higher.
6. Laughter combats depression. Studies support that laughter is a great way to get out of the downwards spiral to depression. Even forced laughter releases hormones that are mood enhancers and can help get you out of the unhappy mindset you may be in.
The healthiest response to life is laughter, so make sure you get your daily dose starting today.